3 Foods that Boost Your Libido & 2 Foods that Kill It

We all know that the right foods can change your body inside and out, but did you know that certain foods can raise and diminish your sex drive as well? If you find yourself with a lower libido than you’re used to, your diet may be to blame. Here are three foods that can help you get your sex drive back as well as two foods that may be at the root cause of the issue.

#1: Blackberries
Blackberries are rich in phytochemicals which can enhance both sexual endurance and libido. Both the seeds and berries themselves are beneficial. A few hours before any anticipated sexual activity, simply eat 10 berries or a tablespoon of seeds to allow your body to perform at its maximum capacity.

#2: Broccoli
Broccoli is rich in Vitamin C. Vitamin C has countless health benefits, from preventing various health diseases and conditions to regulating blood pressure and boosting the immune system. It also increases blood flow to the organs in the body. Studies have shown that broccoli, due to the Vitamin C content, can help to increase libido, primarily in women.


#3: Watermelon
Although watermelon is 92 percent water, the other 8 percent is full of vital nutrients, many of which are very beneficial to sexual health. One study found that watermelon produced effects similar to Viagra in the body’s blood vessels. This resulted in an increased libido and sexual performance. The reason behind this is thought to lie in the fact that watermelon contains a phytonutrient called citrulline. When consumed, citrulline is converted into arginine, which is an amino acid that raises nitric oxide levels in the body. Nitric oxide relaxes blood vessels in the same way medicines like Viagra do.

#4: Processed Food
It’s no mystery that processed foods are harmful your health and waistline, but they can actually have detrimental effects on your sex life too. This is especially true of processed foods containing trans fat. Trans fats have a severe negative impact the cells in the body, surrounding and coagulating them so that glucose is not absorbed and rather remains in the blood stream. This in turn raises blood sugar and lowers libido. Trans fats also clog the ventricles, which reduces oxygen to organs in the body, including sexual organs. The fats also prevent the spleen from producing adequate numbers of white blood cells, which makes egg and sperm cells have a harder time multiplying.

#5: Dairy
The latest science and research conducted has shown that dairy has many negative effects on the body. One of the biggest detrimental side effects of excessive dairy consumption is a lowered libido. The lactic acid as well as other oxygen-destroying components can severely decrease your sex drive. It’s best to limit dairy consumption to once or twice a week, or eliminate it completely if you find yourself experiencing other side effects.