This delicious vegan, veggie rice is a great family meal and incredibly easy to prep. What’s particularly great about this recipe is you can add or substitute in virtually any vegetable you like. Included in the recipe are some great veggies to compliment each other and bring out the flavors in the rice, but feel free to put your own twist on it.
Begin by gathering all of your ingredients:
- 3 cups cooked white or brown rice – Brown rice is healthier, but white rice works too. To cook the rice simply boil roughly 3 cups of water and add 1.5 cups rice once the water is boiling. Turn the heat down to low and simmer the rice for 15-20 minutes or until all the water is absorbed into the rice. Remove the pan from heat and let sit for another 5 minutes.
- 2 large carrots – Peel the carrots and chop into relatively small chunks. You want the pieces to be big enough that they don’t get lost in the mix but small enough that they cook evenly with the rest of the vegetables.
- 1/2 medium onion – Dice the onion into small pieces.
- 2-3 cloves garlic – You can add as much or as little garlic as you want. Oftentimes the flavor can get a little lost as it’s cooked with the other veggies. So if you really like garlic-y food then consider adding 3 or 4 cloves.
- 1/2 bell pepper – Any kind of pepper will work here really, or you can leave it out entirely if you prefer. Bell peppers add a nice, sweeter flavor that brings the dish together. Or you can add a spicier pepper like a chili or habanero for an extra kick.
- 1/2 cup ketchup – Sounds a little weird, but it’s really what makes the flavors of the rice and veggies work together. Add just enough to make the rice a darker red color.
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce – Again, use as much or as little here as you like. If you like spicer food then grab your favorite hot sauce and add away. It’s recommended to use at least one tablespoon of hot sauce regardless if you like spicier food as it helps to cut the sweetness of the ketchup.
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt – Self-explanatory, a little salt makes everything better.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil – Extra-virgin is best here as it has the most health benefits, but virgin will work as well. You can also use another healthy oil such as coconut oil but that may give the dish a different flavor.
Once you’ve gathered the ingredients simply start by heating up a pot with the olive oil. Add the carrots first once the oil is heated. Sauté for three to four minutes on medium-high heat. Add the rest of the veggies and sauté for another three to four minutes. Next add your rice and stir to mix in the veggies and the remaining oil. Then add your ketchup and hot sauce mixing continuously. Continue cooking for another three minutes to really make all the flavors work together. Serve immediately or store in an air-tight container for up to five days. Enjoy!