Building Mental Strength: An Exercise

A strong mind is like a well-guarded fortress against outside attacks. In a time of increasing stress, panic, and mass hysteria it is increasingly important to build a solid and strong mind to protect yourself against the mental traps laid out left and right. Marcus Aurelius was an emperor and stoic philosopher stated, “Look well into thyself; there is a source of strength which will always spring up if thou wilt always look.” He is the same man that stated, “The happiness of your life depends on the quality of your thoughts.” So just as you would only intake healthy and clean foods to ensure proper nutrition and an optimal physique, so you should tend to the quality of the input of thoughts that exist in your mind.

Monitor Your Thoughts
Notable cognitive neuroscientists have conducted studies that reveal nearly 95% of your thoughts are generated in a non-conscious state. So how many of your thoughts have been recycled again, without your attention or awareness. That leaves only 5% of thoughts that you are consciously acting on. So, most of your decisions, emotions, actions, and behaviors you’re unaware of.

Practice Awareness
Awareness can be a great antidote for the decisions you may find yourself taking without a second thought. When you reach for a donut and find yourself already done consuming it when you had no intention of straying from eating clean – this is a prime example of the unconscious taking over.

Write Out Your Plan
When you take a proactive stance on your life, you are less likely to veer off course. Sit down to a clean pen and paper and start to write where you want to see your life go. If you’re not sure, take a moment and envision your life as you would like to see it outside of all influence of family and friends.